One of the first rules of online marketing and usability is “Know who your targeted customer is.” While you may believe everyone is your possible customer, there are certainly specific groups that are more likely to buy your product or service.
Calling all Mercedes-Benz Drivers
First let me state that I am not the owner of a Mercedes-Benz. I was however in the market for a B &B or country inn in the Napa Valley/Sonoma area. Per usual, I began searching on Trip Advisor, through Select Registry, etc. – some of my usual haunts.
I came across this site: Calistoga Ranch. It looked very, very nice. Perfect for an anniversary trip!
As I tend to do, I clicked on the Packages & Specials tab. (I’ve learned over the years that even the most expensive places often have last minute deals.)
Under Special Packages, I saw a special that made me realize that the people who own the inn, or their marketing team, KNEW who their customers were and/or knew who they wanted to attract.
The line reads “Mercedes-Benz Owners”
The picture is a driveway lined with Mercedes. And the offer reads:
MERCEDES-BENZ OWNERS PACKAGE
Mercedes-Benz Owners can enjoy the following amenities with any length of stay at Calistoga Ranch:
- Complimentary $100 resort amenity credit
- A confirmed upgrade to the next room category (based on availability upon arrival)
- A special welcome amenity
- Prices listed are per night based on a two night stay or more and subject to availability; price does not include tax, gratuity, or alcohol. Offer valid for new reservations only and is not applicable to groups or any other packages. Subject to change, additional restrictions may apply.
While I applaud their online targeted marketing efforts and their knowledge of their customer, I don’t think I’d fit in at their inn. Huh? Could that be part of their strategy as well?
Latest posts by Kathleen Fealy (see all)
- What Room Service Shouldn’t Do or Lessons on Perceived Value - May 11, 2012
- Search News For Business Owners: 5 Search Articles in 5 Minutes - November 8, 2011
- Inn in Napa Looking for Mercedes-Benz Owners - October 18, 2011